Diffusers are becoming more and more popular and that’s because diffusing essential oils is the most common ways essential oils are used. I’ve listed out the top 3 reasons diffusing essential oils is the most popular way to use oils. If you’re ready to start using essential oils and aren’t sure where to start, I suggest you start by diffusing. It’s a safe (see my disclaimer at the bottom of this page… I’m not a Dr. bla, bla, bla) and effective way to use essential oils. And personally, I think super fun too because you get to come up with some pretty awesome smelling combos.
Here are the most popular reasons why diffusing is the preferred method to use essential oils.
1. Diffusing essential oils is a great way to allow the essential oil to be enjoyed by everyone in the room. What do I mean by that? Well, there are approximately 40 million-trillion (yes, you read that correctly) molecules in one single drop of essential oil. When you put the oils in a diffuser with water the diffuser diffuses (see that) the particles into the air.
Once they are in the air everyone in the room inhales them. Once they are inhaled, the essential oil molecules enter your body starting with your brain.
And, I’m sure you know our brain is a miraculous thing. Without a great functioning brain, our bodies wouldn’t function properly. Know what’s in your brain? Olfactory receptors. They are basically extremely sensitive receptors that detect smell. Once those receptors are triggered by the smells, they then transmit impulses to your brain. Specifically, the limbic system of your brain, which is where guess what is stored?! Memories! Emotions!
See where this is heading? Inhaling the oils triggers your brain. Just like smelling fresh baked cookies can remind you of some great childhood memories. Or the smell of a certain shampoo can remind you of a friend. Whatever the case may be, smells have a direct link to emotions and memories. And that can be such a wonderful thing, especially when trying to create a happy environment for the people in your home. If you are diffusing oils with great, happy uplifting scents, like citrus oils for instance, everyone in the room is going to benefit from those uplifting oils.
Here are some other reasons everyone in the room would want to benefit from those oils.
- Immune support for all! If you are diffusing immune supporting oils such as Thieves, everyone in the room is going to benefit from that immune support.
- You can diffuse certain essential oils such as rosemary or peppermint to support your brain function and improve memory.
- Diffusing oils such as lavender can help with a restful night’s sleep.
- Respiratory support is another reason people choose to diffuse essential oils such as Raven, RC, or eucalyptus oils.
- Did you know some bugs and other pests don’t like certain smells such as peppermint, or citronella? Trying to keep the pests away? Try diffusing different essential oils and see what happens.
Super Easy and Affordable
2. Another reason diffusing essential oils is awesome is because it’s so stinkin easy! Grab a diffuser, add some water, add some oils, turn diffuser on. Easy peasy. And it’s super inexpensive. I know a lot of people say essential oils are expensive, and it can seem that way. But because only a few drops are needed at a time, they are actually quite inexpensive when you break it down to price per drop.
Better For You Than Candles and Other Options
3. They are way better for you than candles, wax melts, room sprays and plug-ins! What exactly is in your favorite candle? Or the wax melt? What about the room spray? Plug-in? I bet you don’t know. I say this because a commonly listed ingredient is “fragrance”. Do you know what exactly that means? The word “fragrance” is actually a trade secret so companies don’t have to disclose what makes up that fragrance. Fragrances often contain carcinogens (cancer causing agents), endocrine disruptors (hormone disruptors, I’ll talk more about this on another post), allergies, irritants and many more.
It’s not only the fragrance that makes the candles bad for you. Paraffin is the main ingredient in many candles. Paraffin is actually a petroleum byproduct which releases carcinogens when burned. Do you really want to be inhaling that? What else is bad about candles? Hello, fire hazard. Why even risk it? Candles, to me, are just dangerous all around and I want nothing to do with them.
And for your room sprays, plug-ins, wax melts, etc they all contain harsh chemicals that are terrible for our bodies and environment. If you like learning the science behind things, this is a great article from sciencedirect.com that explains more in detail. If you just like the basics, just know there are hundreds of harsh chemicals emited from these ways of “making your home smell good”. And those harsh chemicals all can have terrible effects on our bodies, long term and short term.
I also encourage every single one of you reading this to go to the EWG website and search for your “air freshener” to see how bad it really is for you and why. Here’s a little informative bit off the EWG website that talks about air fresheners and their toxins.
A Little Goes A Long Way
Essential oils are super duper strong. Remember the statement above about how there are 40 million-trillion molecules in one drop? Because of that, only a few drops are needed at a time when you are diffusing essential oils. A little really goes a long way. Whether you just want to freshen up a room, or elicit some great feelings, encourage sleep, wake up the kiddos in the morning, or support your immune system, whatever the case may be, diffusing is a great and popular option, and a safer alternative to hazardous candles and sprays.
So there ya have it friends! Those are the 3 top reasons diffusing is the most popular way to use essential oils. Diffusing is safe, easy, cheap, and beneficial to all around! So what are you waiting for, get diffusing!
If you need some diffuser recommendations or options check out this post on the Premium Starter Kits and diffusers. I personally LOVE the Aria because it’s just so beautiful!