How to Make Dryer Sheets With Essential Oils
Dryer sheets have been the talk of the town when referring to toxic things in your home that are easy to get rid of. Scientific American states, “According to the health and wellness website Sixwise.com, some of the most harmful ingredients in dryer sheets and liquid fabric softener alike include benzyl acetate (linked to pancreatic cancer), benzyl alcohol (an upper respiratory tract irritant), ethanol (linked to central nervous system disorders), limonene (a known carcinogen) and chloroform (a neurotoxin and carcinogen), among others.”
Tossing those dryer sheets is a super easy ditch and switch that anyone can do. First of all, dryer sheets aren’t absolutely necessary. But we are accustomed to using them to scent our clothes and keep static electricity at bay. And there are better alternatives.
Wool dryer balls are a great option. They are reusable (I’ve been using the same ones for years), and they actually speed up the dry time saving you money on that electricity bill. You can even add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to lightly scent your clothes. I’ll be honest, it’s not a strong scent and the way I’ve found to get the scent to be stronger is to add the essential oils to the dryer balls towards the end of the dryer cycle. I don’t always remember to do this lol.
Another great option is to make dryer sheets with essential oils. This is super easy to do and leaves your clothes soft and smelling wonderful.
Here’s how to make dryer sheets with essential oils.
- Add the essential oils to vinegar
- Fold the baby washcloths and place in glass jar
- Pour the essential oil and vinegar mixture over the washcloth
- Use one washcloth per dryer load
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recommended Essential Oils To Use
I love to use different things for mine. Here are some of my favorites for you to try out. But, of course, you are free to use any essential oil or combination of essential oils that you would like.
- Lavender – yep, just plain lavender essential oil. I love to use lavender for my sheets. It makes climbing into bed so relaxing.
- Lavender and Geranium – if you want a nice floral scent, this is the one I recommend
- Northern Lights Black Spruce and Vanilla – this is good because I have men in the house and they don’t want to smell like a field of wildflower lol
- Lushious Lemon – this one is a blend of Ylang Ylang, Eucalyptus Globulus, Lemon Myrtle, Lemon, and Spearmint. Can you just imagine how amazing this one smells? It’s so good
So, which combination will you be trying first for your homemade dryer sheets with essential oils?