Traditional household cleaners are usually filled with harsh chemicals. This is one area in my home I was quick to swap out as soon as I started using essential oils. In fact, this was one of the main reasons I even started using essential oils. I wanted to get rid of the toxic cleaners that my kids were exposed to daily. So, I wanted to tell you about this super easy ditch and switch household cleaner. Trust me when I say this is a super easy and super affordable ditch and switch!
Some of the things you want to avoid when picking a safe household cleaner are:
- Fragrance – because of trade secrets, companies do not have to disclose what makes up “fragrance” in their products. But they are known to be irritants to skin, eyes and lungs, and to possibly contain cancer causing agents.
- Phthalates – these are known endocrine disruptors. They mess with your hormones and could cause reproductive issues.
- Perchloroethylene or PERC – this is a neurotoxin and possible carcinogen.
- 2-butoxyethanol – powerful solvent’s that don’t have to be listed on a products label. Can cause lung and throat irritation, liver and kidney damage, pulmonary edema, and narcosis.
- Triclosan – antibacterial agent that can kill the good bacteria we need, possible endocrine disruptors and carcinogen.
- Ammonia – irritant that can cause lung and eye irritation. Can become a poisonous gas when mixed with other things such as bleach.
- Quarternary Ammonium Compounds, or QUATS – skin irritant that also is an antibacterial agent that kills the good bacteria we need.
- Chlorine – respiratory irritant and possible serious thyroid disruptor.
Based on that list alone, I don’t want to touch or breathe in any of those.
According to Lung.org
Choose products that do not contain or have reduced amounts of VOCs, fragrances, irritants and flammable ingredients. Avoid using air fresheners altogether.
Manufacturers are not obligated by U.S. law to list all ingredients in consumer products.4 Products that are labeled “green” do not necessarily mean they are safer. Do a little research on the product from a reliable source.
An Easy Ditch and Switch Household Cleaner That’s Safe For Use Around Pets and Kids
Thank goodness Young Living has an awesome household cleaner that is already pretty much ready to use and doesn’t contain any of those listed ingredients.
All you have to do is add a single capful of the ultra concentrated Thieves Household Cleaner to a 16oz bottle of water and you are ready to go. I keep one bottle under my kitchen sink and one upstairs. It’s so nice eliminating the clutter of the multiple cleaning products. All you really need to clean your home is Thieves Household Cleaner.
This ditch and switch household cleaner is a plant based cleaner with a sweet-spicy aroma. It can be use on just about any surface of your home. I use it on our mirrors, windows, wood tables, travertine tile floors, countertops, bathtubs, sinks, toilets, and even to clean our carpets and spot treat our sofa. Of course, you will want to spot test before you use on a questionable item like a sofa, but I’ve never had any issues with mine.
Young Living has a starter kit filled with amazing Thieves products including two 14.4oz bottles of this ditch and switch household cleaner. You can find this kit listed under other starter kits here. You can also get this oil kit and just add a bottle of the cleaner as well
For an unbranded copy of the postcard, please visit my For an unbranded copy of this postcard, please visit my Etsy Shop.